Sunday, September 9, 2012

DeVall's (DuVall's Bluff)

Two important Civil War sites I've visited lately--Cairo, Illinois and DeVall's Bluff, Arkansas--have seen better days; however, despite the fact that progress has not favored these towns, they remain awesome places to visit.



Many of the soldiers enlisted in Memphis, TN or in Corinth, Mississippi would have been mustered out at Devall's Bluff. The image above depicts a celebration of those mustered out in 1866. My own second great grandfather was mustered out here. And if this image of celebration doesn't completely capture the mood of soldiers at the end of the war, there is this. Two men, brothers Solomon and Richard, who had been owned by the same Hull family who owned my Williams ancestors after the war took DeVall as their surname!

1 comment:

Dr. Sybil C. Mitchell said...

Ms. McLeod:

I am Dr. Sybil Mitchell, a black journalist in Memphis with the Tri-State Defender Newspaper. I am on deadline. If you read this message now, please give me a call at (901) 505-3334. I am interested in your ancestors' story on President's Island. Writing a story on its history as we speak.

Thank you kindly.